22/04/2019

General travel tips for 2019

Things have changed a lot since 2014 including travel tips. 




So here are a few tips to help you make the most of your trips wherever you go and avoid any pitfalls:

1. Invest in an RFID blocking wallet so you can keep your cards safe and neatly organised at the same time as protecting yourself from fraud (like skimming where criminals use their modified card readers to take money from you without you noticing but it's easy to stop) which is an issue in some countries.





I own one of these and they're fantastic to use with a nice magnetic closing feature. Go minimalist RFID blocking wallet https://amzn.to/2VzRY5P 


It looks like it can only support 2 cards but I've managed to fit 4 in there and it still closes.














2. Get a good durable passport case as you don't want to lose your passport when you’re in a rush to pack and unpack stuff. 



This is one I use myself and it’s great https://amzn.to/2Vhw7jq Go Passport case black.








3. If you can, try to bring a tablet with you, as it takes up less space and is lighter in your cabin suitcase plus you can do the majority of things you need to do, on there as well as a laptop can. 

Personally, I would go with an iPad as I’m more familiar with how to use one, plus my main apps (as I’m a professional filmmaker and freelance video editor) are only available on that platform. I also have a Mac, iPhone, Watch and AirPods so it makes more sense to go there if I’m reliant on that ecosystem. 

iPad Air https://amzn.to/2UVlbny (10.5in 256GB Space Grey model.Wifi.) Recommended by me due to its great storage space for a great price plus it supports the 1st gen apple pencil so you can write notes or draw stuff. Runs on iOS (from Apple).























Samsung Galaxy S5e  https://amzn.to/2URo4pl (128GB Wifi can support MicroSD cards up to 512GB). Recommended by me due to its great expandable storage option and this seems to get a lot of great reviews too. Runs on Android (from Google).

In this case, I’d say go for a tablet that fits your budget and what you plan to use it for and just stick with that. 


4. Digital camera. 

Should I bring a digital camera with me or not?
This depends on what you want to do and how much you’re prepared to spend or carry with you in your luggage. 


If you’re the kind of person who simply wants to walk out without carrying too much gear and want an easy life, then I'd just say stick with your smartphone and be happy with it.

Featured here. iPhone XR 128GB 
https://amzn.to/2LsHXDR










Now, if you're the kind of person who really cares about image quality, or if you're a professional filmmaker like me on an assignment, then the answer is clear, remember to bring your DSLR (or mirrorless) cameras with you as well as some spare batteries, memory cards and at least bring a card reader with you. 

Of course, all this extra gear will take up more room, so please ensure you're happy with this option before going ahead with it.

Featured here. Panasonic GX9 with 12mm-60mm lens: https://amzn.to/2LfgQfk



More tips to come over time.





























No comments:

Post a Comment